The practice of marriages between non-resident Indian (NRI) grooms and Indian women has increased over a period of time. Many Indian women get married to NRI's & desire to settle in forign countries for a better standard of living, however unfortunately the marriage turns a night mare and hence it is important for them to have an awareness of the laws.It is said prevention is better than cure, so while marrying an NRI it is important to have a proper check,& as it is observed that the income is exaggerated and the other vital information is hidden. Now if both the spouses are from India and have married under Hindu marriage act they can seek consent divorce under the personal law by which they are married ie Hindu marriage act and if both the spouses are residing in foreign country then they can seek divorce by consent under the country's dirvorce law related to foreign marriages. A decree obtained by one of the spouse in a foreign country is considered invalid, however if the decree is sought by consent of both the spouses it is valid here.
The jurisdiction assumed by the foreign court as well as ground on which the relief is granted must be in accordance with the matrimonial law under which the parties are married

    * It is contemplated u/s 13 of the CPC that Foreign judgment is not binding on Indian courts if.
    * The judgment has not been pronounced by a court of competent jurisdiction.
    * It has not been given on the merits of the case.
    * The said court has refused to recognize the law in India.
    * Judgment was obtained as opposed to natural justice.
    * Judgment was obtained by fraud.
    * It sustains the claim founded on breach of any law in force in India.